24629Re: [mythsoc] Howard & Tolkien

  • Morgan Thomsen
    Oct 17, 2013
      And more thing I noticed when checking around: it might be of note that both Tolkien and Howard contributed to The Young Magicians (1969; edited by Lin Carter). It would seem likely that Tolkien read Howard's story included in this anthology.

      On Oct 18, 2013 01:51 "Morgan Thomsen" <morgan@...> wrote:

      Paul: see also a quotation from a letter by Tolkien to de Camp,
      reprinted in Scull and Hammond, Chronology, p. 622. Though specifically
      not naming Howard, Tolkien gives his general opinion about the authors
      -- of whom Howard was one -- contributing to the anthology Sword and
      Sorcery.

      The letter was first published in Mythlore 50 (1987).

      /Morgan

      On Oct 16, 2013 23:45 "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

      > See also my (in places very tentative) transcription of Tolkien's
      > comments on the collection here:
      >

      > <http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1785
      > &v
      > iewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=5>
      >

      > Carl
      >

      > On Oct 16, 2013, at 3:18 PM, David Bratman <<dbratman@...>>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > There's more to the citation of de Camp than the wiki article
      > > alludes
      > > to.
      > >
      > > "I met Tolkien in February 1967, on my way back from India. Tolkien
      > > and I had corresponded. I had sent him a copy of my little
      > > anthology,
      > > _Swords and Sorcery_; he said he found it interesting but did not
      > > much
      > > like the stories in it. ... We sat in the garage for a couple of
      > > hours, smoking pipes, drinking beer, and talking about a variety of
      > > things. Practically anything in English literature, from Beowulf
      > > down,
      > > Tolkien had read and could talk intelligently about. He indicated
      > > that
      > > he 'rather liked' Howard's Conan stories."
      > > - L. Sprague de Camp, _Literary Swordsmen and Sorcerers_, p. 243-44

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic