    Oct 15, 2013
      Thanks Jason, I will look it up. I used to be acquainted with West (if Richard is the same one I'm thinking of...), so I will see if he has any pointers I can get. It sounds like an opportunity for a journal article at a minimum (one I don't have time to work on!)

      Sharon

      On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      Martha Sammons has an appendix on the nomenclature in her Guide through C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (Cornerstone, 1980). It's not bad, but it's very dated and not always very thorough. Certainly a good place to start, though, since there isn't a whole lot else on this that I know of. Richard West has done some very good work on this recently, but it's unpublished.

      Best,
      Jason

      From: Boldingbroke <boldingbroke@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:05 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Etymology of planetary names in the Lewis Space triology

      This week while at the Seattle Antiquarian Book Fair, I met a lovely gentleman in his '90s named Mr. Stott. He was looking for Charles Williams works and we started to talk about the Inklings. He had attended a conference and asked some expert about the inspiration for nomeclature in the Space trilogy, specifically Malacandra and Perelandra.

      Does anyone in the list have pointers to a website, book or article so that I can answer his question the next time we meet?

      Thanks,
      Sharon

      --
      Sharon L. Bolding, PhD