24478Re: [mythsoc] Re: Writers at Mythcon

  • Linda DeMars
    Jun 18, 2013
      Oops, sorry. My mind moved ahead of the pen. I,  in no way, meant or ever even thought that Jill was thinking Susan was going to Hell. I just was think about Jill speaking  with scorn about the lipstick and the nylons and was reminded of many pre-adolescent girls who have not quite gotten to the teen stage when dressing up can be very important and are prone to say things like  "she just is trying to get boys to look at her, ugh."   I was also thinking that those who lightly say Lewis was condemning Susan or anyone else certainly did not know Lewis very well or his work. The idea of condemning a person to Hell for a frivolous act of vanity would never have been in Lewis's mind - the idea and fact of Hell was a very serious matter to Lewis,  and he would have never presumed to say that was someone's destination. He left this to God.

      On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

      Linda DeMars wrote:

      >That sounds much more likely Susan going
      >to Hell for liking "lipstick and nylons"
      >-- and does anyone remember that Lewis
      >did not say that, Jill did.

      Jill didn't say it either. Here's what Jill said:

      "Oh Susan! she's interested in nothing now-a-days except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up."

      Do you see one word there about "going to Hell"?

      Nor is really about lipstick and nylons in themselves. Susan is being accused of trivializing herself with trying to be "grown-up" (the opposite of _really_ growing up, as Polly immediately explains) and has thereby, as Peter and Eustace have previously stated, lost Narnia.

      Susan's tragedy is that she's lost Narnia. She's not going to Hell thereby. Narnia is not Heaven. The lack of it is not Hell. And Susan may still have a chance to redeem herself.

      >It is amazing how often those who should
      >know better wil insist that words and
      >ideas put into a character's head or mouth
      >are actually the beliefs of the author.

      Yes, it is. And it's also regrettable when the words and ideas of a character actually are those of the author, but readers willfully misread them. Lewis once compared readers to sheep: they'll always go through the wrong gate if you let them.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic