24477Susan (was Mythcon)

  • Mem Morman
    Jun 18, 2013
      I think, David, that the "going to hell" bit comes when Susan doesn't get to come "farther up and farther in" as the other characters do in the Last Battle.  If not "going to hell" then what is your interpretation?
      Mem

      On 6/18/2013 4:12 PM, David Bratman wrote:

      Linda DeMars wrote:

      >That sounds much more likely Susan going
      >to Hell for liking "lipstick and nylons"
      >-- and does anyone remember that Lewis
      >did not say that, Jill did.

      Jill didn't say it either. Here's what Jill said:

      "Oh Susan! she's interested in nothing now-a-days except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up."

      Do you see one word there about "going to Hell"?

      Nor is really about lipstick and nylons in themselves. Susan is being accused of trivializing herself with trying to be "grown-up" (the opposite of _really_ growing up, as Polly immediately explains) and has thereby, as Peter and Eustace have previously stated, lost Narnia.

      Susan's tragedy is that she's lost Narnia. She's not going to Hell thereby. Narnia is not Heaven. The lack of it is not Hell. And Susan may still have a chance to redeem herself.

      >It is amazing how often those who should
      >know better wil insist that words and
      >ideas put into a character's head or mouth
      >are actually the beliefs of the author.

      Yes, it is. And it's also regrettable when the words and ideas of a character actually are those of the author, but readers willfully misread them. Lewis once compared readers to sheep: they'll always go through the wrong gate if you let them.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic