24467Re: [mythsoc] Re: Astarte and Mary

  • Tony Zbaraschuk
    Jun 17, 2013
      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:56:58PM -0400, Alana Joli Abbott wrote:
      > > Along the lines of "danger here, if you see this it's bollocks all the
      > > way down?" sort of warning sign? :)
      > >
      > Hee hee -- I suppose that's one way! We honestly used it more as a guide to
      > literary criticism -- how are people of this school of thought interpreting
      > myths? -- which is how we applied the Jung, Barfield, and *Hamlet's Mill* texts

      I think at least some of the Year King stuff goes back to Fraser's _The
      Golden Bough_, but it's been a long time since I skimmed that.

      > as well. That said, the maiden-mother-crone and year king as husband-child
      > sacrifice themes do seem to appear all over the place, whether in the old
      > texts or in modern fantasy novels with a mythic backdrop, so whether Graves
      > was inventing things wholesale or picking up on bits that people have
      > continued to recycle, it make sense for him to belong in the canon of
      > people to read when you're reading about how *other* people read myth.

      Oh, agreed.

      I thought _Hamlet's Mill_ had at least a chance of having something
      going for it, it was _maybe_ right, but I didn't know enough about
      either myths or astronomy to be right. (As I get older, I myself
      still reading a lot of fiction, but often finding reality even
      stranger and more wonderful, so I look for the threads of reality
      in a lot of places.)

      > And honestly, I think that's a study (how people read myth) that's almost
      > as interesting as studying mythology itself.

      Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto.

      Tony Z
      --
      Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
      courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.