24447Re: [mythsoc] Re: "in defiance of Kipling"

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Jun 15, 2013
      Would there have been a difference also in what kind of locations were used for lectures and classes? In my experience the difference between what I might call a lecture theatre (usually with built up rows of seats for the audience) and a class room (with everything at the same level — possibly with a raised dais for the teacher) means quite a lot to the dynamics of teaching (the difference you describe sound quite like the distinction we had between lectures and smaller “classes” when I was at university where different locations were invariably used for the two types of teaching, though of course things were called by different names at a Danish university).

      Lectures required larger rooms, though the size naturally would have varied according to location, and perhaps depending on the subject and the seniority, or popularity, of the lecturer. As a professor, Tolkien usually lectured in the Examination Schools, a building in the High Street which as the name suggests was (and is) also used for sitting exams. During the war, Tolkien lectured in the Taylor Institution in St Giles'. We note in our Chronology the locations where Tolkien taught, and where he was taught as a student, as far as we could discover them. His 1920 class on Sir Gawain was conducted at 40 Broad Street, at that time a former doctor's surgery occupied by the University of Oxford School of Geography, later one of a group of houses demolished to make way for the New Bodleian Library.

      Wayne & Christina

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic