24445Re: [mythsoc] Re: "in defiance of Kipling"

  • Troels Forchhammer
    Jun 15, 2013

      On 15 June 2013 21:51, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

      You're defining the difference, then, between lecturing and "lecturing".  That level of minute precision of nomenclature I can't follow you on.  If he talked for an hour to a class, whether he was willing to be interrupted and enter into side discussions or not, he was lecturing, whether it was what the university formally called a "lecture" or not.

      It would have been a meaningful difference to the extent that a lecture was public -- so Graves could have attended like any other Oxford student -- while a class was not. Theoretically, Graves could have enrolled, but the number of students in a class was limited. The distinction, anyway, is important when discussing Oxford of the time, because one encounters these terms in the literature. Of course, we understand what you mean: it's all teaching.

      Would there have been a difference also in what kind of locations were used for lectures and classes? In my experience the difference between what I might call a lecture theatre (usually with built up rows of seats for the audience) and a class room (with everything at the same level — possibly with a raised dais for the teacher) means quite a lot to the dynamics of teaching (the difference you describe sound quite like the distinction we had between lectures and smaller “classes” when I was at university where different locations were invariably used for the two types of teaching, though of course things were called by different names at a Danish university).

      /Troels

      --
          Love while you've got
              love to give.