24444Re: [mythsoc] Re: "in defiance of Kipling"

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Jun 15, 2013

      You're defining the difference, then, between lecturing and "lecturing".  That level of minute precision of nomenclature I can't follow you on.  If he talked for an hour to a class, whether he was willing to be interrupted and enter into side discussions or not, he was lecturing, whether it was what the university formally called a "lecture" or not.

      It would have been a meaningful difference to the extent that a lecture was public -- so Graves could have attended like any other Oxford student -- while a class was not. Theoretically, Graves could have enrolled, but the number of students in a class was limited. The distinction, anyway, is important when discussing Oxford of the time, because one encounters these terms in the literature. Of course, we understand what you mean: it's all teaching.

      Wayne & Christina

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic