24432Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien and politics

    Jun 14, 2013
      <davise@...> wrote:

      > The politics as well as the racism is off-base. The hobbits, with their
      > elected mayor, are certainly the
      > closest thing in Middle-Earth to a liberal democracy. The Entmoot also
      > seems to be carried out by
      > vote or by consensus.

      True, but just as the neo-Nazis can't tear themselves away from the fine
      spectacle of the Rohirrim slaughtering orcs to see that those orcs are the
      tools of a megalomaniac white guy, they probably can't tear their eyes away
      from the political spectacle of the destined and rightful monarch taking the
      crown.

      > The Council of Elrond is an ad-hoc international conference, of the kind
      > these
      > guys mostly detest.

      I think they would read the Council as Elrond and Gandalf telling everyone
      what to do, and then those people do it. Don't bother to point out flaws in
      that reading; we all know them; but I fancy that's the misreading you'd get.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic