24430Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and politics

    Jun 13, 2013
      Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...> wrote:

      >And then there's the Kinstrife, where Gondor gets into a very
      >destructive civil war over racial purity issues, and the racism
      >is generally presented as a Bad Idea.

      I've seen discussions of the Kinstrife in which the blame is placed on Valacar for marrying outside of the pure blood, and not on his critics for getting snitty about it. The writers seem to have missed the clear markers of the historians of Appendix A (and thus, presumably, Tolkien's own message) as to where the problem really lay.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic