24429Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and politics

  • Tony Zbaraschuk
    Jun 13, 2013
      On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 02:25:05PM -0500, Jeanette Rost wrote:
      > And the Army of the Dead, although they finally redeemed themselves,
      > had previously done great evil, and was undoubtedly made up of all
      > Caucasians.

      For that matter, if you look closely, the closest thing to Aryans is
      the definitely culturally inferior Rohirrim (blond Germanic rider
      types), and the Numenoreans are maybe more Middle Eastern (dark haired,
      a language that works with triconsonantal roots a lot of the time,
      that sort of thing).

      And then there's the Kinstrife, where Gondor gets into a very
      destructive civil war over racial purity issues, and the racism
      is generally presented as a Bad Idea.

      > I think I detect some of what I call "insistent ignorance."

      Probably. It's worth remembering that Tolkien ends up producing a
      lot of diverse reactions...

      > I didn't remember that the Mouth of Sauron was a renegade Numenorean.

      Yup.

      Tony Z
      --
      Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
      courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.