24350Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Who's Who

  • Jason Fisher
    May 31, 2013
      This is a fascinating addition to what I had stumbled across a few years ago. Thanks for sharing, Åke.

      From: Åke Bertenstam <arawn74@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 1:32 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Who's Who

      Who's who in Literature was a short-lived annual, or to quote from the entry in COPAC (copac.ac.uk):

      Title
      Who's who in literature.
      Frequency
      Annual.
      Published
      Liverpool : Literary Year Books Press, 1924-1934.
      Physical description
      v. ; 21 cm.
      Notes
      Contains list of "Fictitious and pseudonymous names."
      Subject
      Authors, English — Periodicals.
      Literature — Periodicals.
      Related item
      Continues: Literary year-book (London, England : 1921)
      Language
      English

      Ake Bertenstam

      2013/5/31 Åke Bertenstam <arawn74@...>
      Very interesting, I had completely missed that blog entry. However, your entry seems to come from another source, i.e. Who's Who in Literature. My entry is from the standard Who's Who, still being published. To quote the full title from the title page: Who's Who 1925, An Annual Biographical Dictionary with which is incorporated "Men and Women of the Time", Seventy-seventh year of issue. Published by A & C Black Limited, 4, 5 & 6 Soho Square London W 1. (This annual started already in 1849.)

      2013/5/31 Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>

      Indeed! I wrote about the 1925 Who's Who back in 2009 and noted several of the same things you did, Åke —

      The text you quote below is different from the text I saw and quoted. It's more complete, for one thing. But the one I saw referred to a planned Selections from Chaucer, which never came to be. Very interesting stuff.

      Best,
      Jason