24316The Fall of Arthur on tolkienestate.com

  • Vincent Ferré
    May 22, 2013
      Dear all,

      ‘This presentation of the work is taken, with some omissions, from the Foreword to The Fall of Arthur published on the 23rd of May by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd and Houghton Mifflin (USA).
      [...]
      It is well known that a prominent strain in my father's poetry was his abiding love for the old 'Northern' alliterative verse, which extended from the world of Middle-earth (notably in the long but unfinished Lay of the Children of Húrin) to the dramatic dialogue The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth (arising from the Old English poem The Battle of Maldon) and to his 'Old Norse' poems The New Lay of the Völsungs and The New Lay of Gudrún (to which he referred in a letter of 1967 as 'a thing I did many years ago when trying to learn the art of writing alliterative poetry'). In Sir Gawain and the Green Knight he displayed his skill in his rendering of the alliterative verse of the fourteenth century into the same metre in modern English. To these is now added his unfinished and unpublished poem The Fall of Arthur
      [...]”

      best wishes,
      Vincent Ferré
      Professeur, Littérature générale et comparée
      Université Paris Est (Créteil)