24267Re: [mythsoc] Who's buying the DVD?

  • Larry Swain
    Apr 29, 2013
      I confess that I will buy it, haven't yet though.  While shame facedly confessing things re: the Hobbit movie, I know a lot of people liked the music, esp. the dwarves' song, Far over.....and I must say that that was one of the huge let downs of the movie for me.  The song was not at all what I've always imagined and had entirely the wrong cadence.  I mean it's a lovely song, but like so much in the movie that I enjoyed, it isn't what I see as Tolkien.

      --
      Larry Swain
      theswain@...

      On Sun, Apr 28, 2013, at 02:37 PM, John Rateliff wrote:

      I bought it, of course, the day it went on sale and have now watched it multiple times (five in the theatre, five on dvd). I was particularly impressed by how much is going on in the background of some scenes, such as those at Bag End. There are a lot of little character-building moments with the various dwarves that I didn't take in on a first or second or third viewing, where I was focusing on the main characters in a scene.

      All in all, my reaction is pretty much what I expected: I enjoy the scenes I'd liked on the big screen, and didn't like those I hadn't liked. So I don't think having or not having the dvd will have a major impact on anybody's appreciation or otherwise of the film. Luckily, I liked it v. much indeed, so I'm glad to have the chance to re-watch it anytime I feel like.

      November comes the extended edition, and December the next installment. Seven (eight) months to go.

      --John R.