24212Re: [mythsoc] Re: Denethor and Abraham

  • wendell_wagner
    Apr 11 12:43 AM
      The story of Ahmad ibn Fadlan was turned into the novel Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton and then into the movie The Thirteen Warrior.  The plots of these two stories have him travel even further north and enter the story of Beowulf.  It's Beowulf with the supernatural elements removed though.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 4/10/2013 7:23:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, emptyD@... writes:

      --- Troels Forchhammer <troelsfo@...> wrote:
      > Digging through memory I seem to remember hearing
      > about an Arab writing about a visit to Russia and
      > describing a Viking funeral involving burning a
      > ship, and also accompanying the dead chief with
      > servants or family ...?

      From Wikipedia:

      "Ahmad ibn Fadlan ... famous for his account of his travels as a member of an embassy of the Abbasid Caliph of Baghdad to the king of the Volga Bulgars. His account is most known for providing a description of the Volga Vikings, including an eyewitness account of a ship burial."

      Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_ibn_Fadlan

      That episode is summarized here:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_funeral#Ibn_Fadlan.27s_account

      It's a bit grisly.