24202Re: [mythsoc] Re: Denethor and Abraham

  • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
    Apr 10 12:48 AM
      Thank you, Merlin, for those references! You wrote:

      > There is a reference to Abraham and Isaac in the Old English version of
      > EXODUS, of which Tolkien's edition and translation appeared posthumously
      > in 1982.

      Too long since I read that book, so I looked in it now. Tolkien
      notes that "the poet had a strange idea of the manner of sacrifice,
      shared by the poet of _Genesis_ . . . Isaac is placed on the burning
      pyre before he is slain . . . fire was thought of as one of the means
      of death". In the Bible, Abraham raises his knife to kill Isaac, the
      fire is prepared to be lit afterwards. Tolkien's story combines the
      motifs: Denethor's original intent is death by fire, then when that
      is hindered he draws a knife.

      Chivalrously,

      Beregond
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic