24193Re: One last snippet from DNB

  • lynnmaudlin
    Apr 4, 2013
      1. Very sad you won't be with us at Mythcon, John-- :(

      2. The money is interesting and also indicates the kind of popularity each had begun to enjoy in his lifetime; even now Williams isn't nearly so well known or commonly read as Tolkien and Lewis (or even Sayers). He also had a much shorter creative life, ending in 1945 vs. 1963 for CSL and 1973 for JRRT. But, generally speaking, I think Williams is less readily accessible than either Tolkien or Lewis.

      3. Sarah's points about how easily we can be less connected than we think we are, *even now* with all the social media, are well taken. I also think there was a different expectation about how successful medical intervention would be, in 1945 vs today. And, of course, they expected Williams to survive; he may well have been the one communicating that ("oh it's nothing, I've done this before").

      -- Lynn --

      > On Mar 29, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Mike Foster wrote:
      > > Thanks, John
      > > Now I know what "intussusception" is. This does not increase my store of happy knowledge.
      > > Your remarks about Lewis are valid. He seems to've been rather undisturbed about serious health concerns.
      > > Will we see you at Mythcon?
      > > Mike
      >
      > Hi Mike.
      > No, I won't make it to this year's Mythcon, but I will be at Kalamazoo.
      > Looking at the DNB (Dictionary of National Biography) entries on Williams, Lewis, and Tolkien, I was struck by the disparity in their wealth at time of death (there's actually a line for this at the end of each entry).
      > Williams (d. 1945) left behind an estate worth 951 pounds, 9 shillings, and 1 pence.
      > Lewis (d. 1963) left behind 55, 869 pounds. This would not have included The Kilns, which belonged to the Moores.
      > Tolkien (d. 1973) left behind 190,577 pounds, but I don't know if this includes money he put aside for his children a few years before his death (since he had to survive a certain number of years after that point for the trust to take effect). Still, a sizable amount.
      > Part of the disparity between these is no doubt due to inflation, but I still found the relative amounts interesting -- esp. for CSL, who left considerably more than I wd have expected.
      >
      > --JDR

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic