24154Re: [mythsoc] Recent Vinywar Tengwar publications

  • Andrew Higgins
    Mar 5, 2013
      Carl

      Just got the notification that Volume 5 is on its way from the land of Lulu (Luludor?) to the land of Inwinore (hopefully by a fast eagle) - I will then have the complete collection!   So looking forward to - the amount of work and scholarship you put into these analyses are so helpful and living models for how we should work with Tolkien's languages.  Many thanks for keeping them coming!

      Best, Andy

      On Mar 05, 2013, at 01:35 PM, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

      With the recent publication of Vinyar Tengwar 50, I am pleased to announce that volume 5 of "The Collected Vinyar Tengwar", containing VT 41-50, is now available (in both perfect- and coil-bound versions) through the VT Web Shop at: http://www.elvish.org/VT/shop.html

      More general Tolkien fans and non-linguist scholars may be interested in the newly-published vol. 4 of the Special Series of the Collected Vinyar Tengwar. This volume collects several essays by Tolkien that, while philological in origin, nonetheless extend to cover aspects of the metaphysical nature and natural history of Middle-earth, including telepathy, conscience, and the geography of Gondor:

      http://www.lulu.com/shop/the-elvish-linguistic-fellowship/the-collected-vinyar-tengwar-ss-4/paperback/product-20723911.html

      The more linguistically-minded may also be interested in SS 3, collecting the three-part presentation of Tolkien late essay of "Eldarin Hands, Fingers and Numerals", which while quite technical in the main, nonetheless touches on more general matters, such as Elvish ambidexterity and an Elvish finger-family game. It also contains a presentation of five late Quenya inscriptions by Tolkien, including well-wishes for a wedding and on the occasion of the birth of a child.

      http://www.lulu.com/shop/the-elvish-linguistic-fellowship/the-collected-vinyar-tengwar-ss-3/paperback/product-20723891.html

      Vinyar Tengwar (ISSN 1054-7606) is a not-for-profit refereed journal of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship, a Special Interest Group of the Mythopoeic Society. VT is devoted to the scholarly study of the invented languages of J.R.R. Tolkien, and is indexed by the Modern Language Association.

      Carl F. Hostetter,
      Editor, Vinyar Tengwar

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic