24135Re: [mythsoc] naugladur

  • Jason Fisher
    Feb 21, 2013
      > In the Gnomish Lexicon - the first part of his name (NAUGL) is glossed as (PE 11: 59)
      > - NAUGL - same as NAUG (a dwarf) from Qenya NAUKA

      > Now there is no Qenya word for NAUKA [...]

      Actually, there is. Quenya nauko "a dwarf" appears under NAUK in the Etymologies (The Lost Road), with additional notes in the Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies (Vinyar Tengwar 45, p. 37). There is also an entry in the Addenda/Corrigenda for DUR (p. 11), though it is empty and struck through.

      > DUR - could possibly come from the Qenya base root TUR (PE 12: 96) with
      > the consonant mutation changing the /T/ to /D/  (PE 11: 7)

      Close, but I think it's more straightforward. I think this is actually just the root (N)DUR "bow down, obey, serve" (see Parma Eldalamberon 17, p. 167). This would be the same element in Isildur (see PE 16, p. 28).

      But to John's original question, is there an official gloss, meaning one directly from Tolkien himself? No, I don't think so. At least, I haven't seen one.

      Best,
      Jason
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic