24108Re: Tolkien as a gateway drug

  • "Marcel R. Aubron-Bülles"
    Feb 6, 2013
      When I first read "The Lord of the Rings" in German I immediately went
      to the British Council library in Cologne (at that time they weren't all
      amalgated into the one in Berlin only) and asked for a membership which
      they considered odd for a fourteen year old German ;) (that was in 1986,
      mind.)

      Luckily enough, they had LotR, Hobbit and Sil in English there. In
      addition to this I first saw "Pictures by Tolkien" (and to this very day
      want a copy of it) and Barbara Strachey's "Frodo's Journeys." I think
      they even had a copy of "Unfinished Tales" but that was all they had on
      Tolkien.

      As I had run out of eminent fantasy authors (oh, I forgot - they had
      the first Discworld novels and that's when I started reading Pratchett!)
      I fell for Nigel Tranter as I also have a penchant for historical novels
      - the pre-1286 Scotland/Viking stories (Lord of the Isles etc.)

      I never stopped reading. They had Welsh for beginners (I taught myself
      some - see Tolkien); Old English grammars (taught myself some) and I
      tried to have a proper Tolkien exhibition done many years later.
      Unfortunately, the Wall fell and all British Council branches were
      closed, quite in contradiction to historical connections (with Cologne
      being the major city in the British Zone after the war - let's forget
      about that Hamburg thingy ...)

      And all that reading led to me study English Literature and Linguistics.

      --

      Best wishes,

      Marcel Aubron-Bülles

      http://www.thetolkienist.com