24104Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Musical Parody

    Feb 6, 2013
      "Ellen Denham" <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

      > I'm currently pursing a doctorate in music and recently wrote a paper
      > about Goethe and Schubert's relationship (or lack thereof) that dealt
      > with, among other things, the subject of musical parody, e.g., writing a
      > poem to the melodic form of another. I kept thinking how Tolkien did
      > this as well, such as the "Old Troll" song going to the tune of "The Fox
      > Went Out on a Chilly Night."
      >
      > Can anyone point me to sources about Tolkienand musical parody? I know
      > I've read at least a mention of this, but my Tolkien books are in
      > Indianapolis and I am in Urbana.

      You're talking about Tolkien writing poems to fit pre-existing tunes? As
      opposed to other people writing song lyrics about Tolkien to pre-existing
      tunes? I briefly discussed this in regard to the Troll song in my paper on
      "Liquid Tolkien" in Brad Eden's _Middle-Earth Minstrel_. What I did not
      mention was that some of the poems in "Songs for the Philologists" specify
      folk tunes that they are to be sung to.

      David Bratman
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic