24095Tolkien and Musical Parody

  • Ellen
    Feb 5 8:47 PM
      I'm currently pursing a doctorate in music and recently wrote a paper about Goethe and Schubert's relationship (or lack thereof) that dealt with, among other things, the subject of musical parody, e.g., writing a poem to the melodic form of another.  I kept thinking how Tolkien did this as well, such as the "Old Troll" song going to the tune of "The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night."

      Can anyone point me to sources about Tolkien and musical parody?  I know I've read at least a mention of this, but my Tolkien books are in Indianapolis and I am in Urbana.

      Thanks,

      Ellen Denham
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic