24011Re: [mythsoc] A fan considers the issues ..

  • Tony Zbaraschuk
    Jan 7, 2013
      On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 11:40:28AM -0800, John Rateliff wrote:
      > Thanks for the link, Joseph. Only had time to skim it so far, but interesting piece. My own position is simpler: CT has the right to make the call over what does and doesn't get published and over what does and doesn't get filmed beyond LotR and H, the rights to which were sold before his time by JRRT himself. I'm willing to trust his judgment.
      > More to the point, I've been mulling over possible SILMARILLION films recently and come to the conclusion that the stories in the first age aren't likely to lend themselves to filming the way LotR and H have. Too compressed, too rarified, too gloomy. I'd much rather see an animated version of FARMER GILES or film shorts of LBN or SWM than an epic-length TURIN.

      I think you could probably do Beren or Turin as single films in themselves,
      though I don't know if the tragedy of Turin could be done well on film.

      Tony Z

      --
      A picture is worth a thousand words.
      A map is worth a thousand pictures.