24002Re: [mythsoc] Smithsonian does The Hobbit

  • John Rateliff
    Jan 4, 2013

      On Jan 4, 2013, at 5:19 AM, David Bratman wrote:
      I have a genuine question for anyone who considers him or herself a serious Tolkien fan, and who also plays these games that use Tolkien's creation and then add things of their own, like their own creation of names for the other two wizards:

      How do you remember, after playing these games a lot, which names and facts came from Tolkien and which didn't?  Are you always pulling out your copies of Foster's Guide to check?  Or do you just not care?

      For my part, when playing games I'm v. much aware of where specific details from source material come from (e.g., in CALL OF CTHULHU I know just which monsters derive from Clark Ashton Smith), and also of departures therefrom. But then sources and the creative uses to which they're put is something I'm specially interested in. Also, I've never played a Tolkien-themed game regularly; I much prefer D&D, which is derived from Tolkien but not Tolkienian in mood or flavor. But even there any parts which depart from their Tolkienian roots (like TSR/WotC's misspelling mithril) irk.

      --John R.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic