      From: John Rateliff <sacnoth@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:10 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Smithsonian does The Hobbit

      On Jan 3, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Jason Fisher wrote:

      I was just reading the article and thinking a little bit about the question of what Peter Jackson can and cannot use. Here's an excerpt:

      <snip>

      I think Peter Jackson could have said both that Turgon was the king of Gondolin and that Elrond was his great-grandson. This information is made clear in Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings. In section I (i), we read that "Idril Celebrindal was the daughter of Turgon, king of the hidden city of Gondolin", with a footnote pointing back to the passage in The Hobbit where the swords from Gondolin are discussed. That seems to give Jackson permission to use the name Turgon. In the same paragraph we learn, again just from The Lord of the Rings, that Turgon -> Idril -> Eärendil. A couple of paragraphs later, we learn that Eärendil -> Elrond. So both issues are perfectly within the film rights of The Lord of the Rings, aren't they?

      Good catch, Jason; I'd forgotten that paragraph naming Turgon.

      On the other hand, another excerpt:
      <snip>

      Perhaps somebody can refresh my memory, but I'm pretty sure it is never said in The Lord of the Rings that the other two wizards' color is blue. I've only seen the film once. Did Gandalf give the color, or only mention that there were two other wizards? I seem to recall he gave the color too. The number would have been okay (there are a couple references to it in The Lord of the Rings), but the color should have been a bit outside Jackson's reach.

      Film-Gandalf does mention that there are two wizards in addition to Saruman, Radagast, and himself, and that their color (colour?) is blue. That detail comes from either UNFINISHED TALES or LETTERS, not LotR or HOBBIT.

      However, I have recently become aware (via Wikipedia, Source Of All Knowledge), that there's a Games Workshop miniatures game based on LotR which is said to include the two Blue Wizards sans name. If that's true, then it establishes precedent (one of the annoying things about copyright and trademark violations is that you have to be vigilant and react as soon as they occur; delay weakens yr case against them). If the Estate didn't know about this violation, or decided it was too minor to launch a full-scale challenge against, Jackson might well decide that gave him leeway to do the same. Or so I assume; for all I know, he got permission -- just as Iron Crown did, for their ccg.

      In any case, hope you enjoyed the article.

      --John R.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic