23920Re: [mythsoc] RPG fiction

  • Tony Zbaraschuk
    Dec 19, 2012
      On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 07:03:29AM -0800, David Bratman wrote:
      > That could be part of it. I enjoy acting in plays, but I can't stand
      > participating in improvisational acting or role-playing without a script.

      And RPGs are very much improvisionational, at their heart. (The
      comparison I come up with, not being enough of a musician to know
      what jazz is like, is that roleplaying games are the current
      incarnation of 19th-century improvistional theater -- the sort of
      small plays a half-dozen people might put on -- crossed with
      wargaming. And a few other things...)

      Of course, like any art form, the bad examples are numerous.
      That doesn't mean good ones don't exist, but the nature of
      improv means that it's hard to repeat and re-show the same
      performance again and again.

      Tony Zbaraschuk

      --
      A picture is worth a thousand words.