23901Re: [mythsoc] RPG fiction

  • David Emerson
    Dec 19, 2012
      >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      >
      >A clue to another part of it comes in David Emerson's post comparing RPGs to
      >improvisational music-making. I love music, but not improvisational music.
      >Jazz combos and jam bands usually bore me. I like music that was written
      >with a directed, large-scale idea by a controlling intelligence: symphonies
      >and operas, mostly, but also tight pop songs.

      I figured you would feel that way, from your earlier comment about preferring to read (or watch) a story rather than participate in making one up. I totally respect your having that attitude. I'm glad that the comparison to music seems to help clarify your (and others') responses to the composed-vs-improvisational difference in created works.

      David Emerson
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic