23590PS on Hammond/Scull Artist and Illustrator book

  • Leslie A. Donovan
    Dec 3, 2012
      First, my apologies to all for not taking this discussion off-list, but I can't for the life of my find Wayne's email address anywhere on his website or on the mythsoc list. So, Wayne, if you'd like to take this offlist, that's fine. My email address is ldonovan AT unm DOTedu.

      Wayne, I started poking around again and remembered more about why I thought J.R.R. Tolkien was out of print. On Amazon UK, the only one available as a new book in a somewhat affordable edition is a hardcover printing for £33.75, which is pretty costly but not as costly as the other editions there and at Amazon US that are close to $200. I also checked the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt website and the link for Artist and Illustrator goes directly to Aristophanes, not to the correct volume. So, if you or any other Mythies can put me in touch with someone who can get new copies for my bookstore or students to order, I would be SO grateful!

      Leslie

      Leslie A. Donovan
      Associate Professor, Honors College
      UNM Presidential Teaching Fellow

      Honors College
      MSC06 3890
      1 University of New Mexico
      Albuquerque, NM 87131
      (505) 277-4313

      On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Leslie A. Donovan <ldonovan@...> wrote:

      Thanks for the info, Wayne. Our campus bookstore said they could not seem to find Artist and Illustrator in their resources to order (but then they are not very thorough) and when I went to Amazon.com in the US to check what they had, it looked to me that it was not available there either. So, I should have looked further. Any contact at your publishers woul be most appreciated. In the meantime, I had not thought about checking UK Amazon, but will do so and see if it is available through that site. Many of my students avoid our campus bookstore altogether and go straight to Amazon, so if they can order it through the UK, that may solve my problem.

      Thanks for your help!
      Leslie

      Leslie A. Donovan
      Associate Professor, Honors College
      UNM Presidential Teaching Fellow

      Honors College
      MSC06 3890
      1 University of New Mexico
      Albuquerque, NM 87131

      On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

      Leslie,

      I was very glad to be reminded of The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, as I only recently realized J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator is no longer in print. I was planning to use the latter for my Advanced Tolkien course in the Honors program where I teach (I used it for the same class a few years ago with great success. But, perhaps, I can use The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien instead. I don't suppose there are plans for Artist and Illustrator to reappear in print or ebook version in the next couple of months or if someone knows where I might have my 12-17 students get copies? Any help would be most appreciated!

      This is news to us. Artist and Illustrator has continued to sell all right in both the U.K. and U.S., and is listed in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's latest 2012 printed catalogue as part of their entire Tolkien line to tie in with The Hobbit. We'll send a note to our contact at the publisher and ask if they can still supply copies to you.

      Wayne & Christina

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic