      From: Doug Kane
      Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 10:22 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] it's coming

      Fair enough, David.  I think I have read most of what you have written about the films, including your essay in Tolkien on Film, your brief comments about Howard Shore's score in Middle-earth Minstrel that got blown out of proportion in a review of that book, and the entertaining though sometimes acrimonious discussions on this list, much of which predate my time on it.  I actually agree with much of what I have seen that you have said, though my overall opinion of the films are undoubtedly higher than yours (which actually supports your main point that it isn't a two-state process).  I will say that I am confident that it is highly likely that I have followed the details about the new films more closely than you have, and that I am equally confident that it is quite likely that your reaction overall will be even more negative than it was to the LotR films (though I won't give details; what would be the fun of that?).  The one thing that I can say with complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you have say about the films interesting and worthwhile.

      Doug

      Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

      "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

      >Even if you have a ticket, you are still going to have to wait on a long
      >line to get
      >in.

      You had said "fight crowds." I won't have to fight crowds. I'll just wait
      in line and read a book, which is what I'd be doing at home if I weren't
      there anyway. It would be a strange way to save time by waiting weeks,
      maybe, to get around to seeing the movie just to avoid having to stand in
      line for maybe an hour. Weeks are longer than an hour.

      >As for your having your first reaction influenced by others, I don't think
      >there is
      >much chance of that. You're a pretty strong-willed person by all accounts.

      What, you think I'm afraid that a favorable review would turn my head?
      There's a lot more to reactions and their influence on people than a simple
      yea-or-nay.

      >Besides, I'm pretty sure that you already know what your first reaction
      >will be:
      >horror, mixed with a fair amount of disgust, tinged by anger, and sadness
      >about
      >what could have been.

      And reactions to a movie are more than simply ranking it on a 1-to-10 scale.
      Even leaving aside Jackson's ability to do some things well and enjoyably,
      even from the point of view of complete prior antipathy there is always the
      question of exactly _how_ he will screw it up, and how badly.

      On both accounts, this isn't just a two-state process, on or off, up or
      down, yea or nay. I'm surprised at the attempt not to see that.