      Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 2:50 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Landscape

      I think this is true of some readers, certainly of myself, but probably some readers skip or skim, for example, Tolkien's descriptions of the Old Forest or Ithilien.  Whether the landscape descriptions are an essential element in the allure of LOTR or an obstacle to its enjoyment would be one way of sorting LOTR's readers.

      Somewhere C. S. Lewis makes a related point, along the lines of being disappointed by the famously adventurous Dumas because in the latter's romances there are no weather and no sense of the distinctness of places.

      Evocation of place is important in some of the best weird fiction, such as Algernon Blackwood's "The Willows" and "The Wendigo" or Arthur Machen's "The White People."  As with Garner's Weirdstone, so with Machen's "Tree of Life" -- you can follow the story on an Ordnance Survey map (in Machen's case Explorer Map 152 Newport & Pontypool).  Any more, I find that often when I revisit Lovecraft, the story is not compelling, but I still enjoy reading his descriptions of, say, Innsmouth.  Lewis, Tolkien, Blackwood, Machen, and Lovecraft were all great ones for walking, at least during some years in their lives.  Blackwood wrote excellent nonfiction about his Danube canoe journey (a two-art essay), his Canadian camping (in his book Episodes Before Thrity, etc.), and so on, and Machen writes of the Welsh countryside of his youth in Far-Off Things.  Lovecraft wrote very lengthy travelogues for his own and his friends' enjoyment.  Lewis's descriptions of his walking tours are highlights of his letters.  One supposes that some of these authors may have been influenced by the -- at one time -- very popular George "Gypsy" Borrow and his books Lavengro, The Romany Rye, etc.  Before Borrow, Walter Scott brooded over specific places.

      I believe that T. H. White wrote several outdoorsy books, about Ireland etc.  I've already mentioned John Buchan.  His weird novel Witch Wood lovingly evokes a specific time and place.

      I mentioned the vogue of travel books in the Twenties and Thirties.  Along with this interest in exotic parts went a national "fad" for rural walking.  There were groups like the Kindred of the Kibbo Kift who advocated strenuous walking.  The Kindred even had a costume that somewhat suggests the hooded cloaks of the dwarves in The Hobbit.  (I contributed a note on this to a recent issue of Amon Hen.)

      Dale Nelson