23429Re: [mythsoc] Landscape

  • Boldingbroke
    Nov 9, 2012
      My dissertation was on landscape and movement between the real world and the fantastic world in OF romance. The key idea was that the landscape gave clues as to whether the hero was still in the real world or had moved into fantastic space and from there into the supernatural. Here are some of the articles and works I used to construct an understanding of the landscape through which protagonists move on their way to the otherworld, whether that be fantastic or supernatural in nature. Of particular interest is the Saunders work on forests.

      Doob, Penelope Reed. The Idea of the Labyrinth from Classical Antiquity through the Middle Ages. Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press, 1990.
      Gallais, Pierre. La Fée à la fontaine et à l’arbre: un archétype du conte merveilleux et du récit courtois. Amsterdam: Rodopi Press, 1992.
      Lecouteux, Claude.  Mondes parallèles. L’Univers des croyances du Moyen Age. Collection Essais 14. Paris: Champion, 1994.
      Pearsall, Derek and Elizabeth Salter. Landscapes and Seasons of the Medieval World. London: Paul Elek, 1973.
      Saunders, Corinne J. The Forest of Medieval Romance. Cambridge: Brewer, 1993.
      Bar, Francis. Les Routes de l'autre monde: Descentes aux enfers et voyages dans l'au-delà. Mythes et religions. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 1946.
      David, Pierre. Sentiers dans la forêt du Saint Graal. Coimbra: University of Coimbra, 1943.
      Piehler, Paul. The Visionary Landscape: A Study in Medieval Allegory. London: Edward Arnold, 1971.
      Green, D. H. “The Pathway to Adventure.” Viator 8 (1977): 145–88.

      I hope this helps,

      Sharon Bolding

      On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:20 AM, John Davis <john@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know of any books (or even published articles) written on the importance of landscape in fantasy? I'm sure there must be some out there, but a quick trawl of Amazon and ABE failed to find me any.

      John

      --
      Sharon L. Bolding, PhD
      Boldingbroke Consulting