23404Re: How does myth "work"?

  • dimwoo
    Oct 22, 2012
      Hi James,

      Thanks for your links, interesting reads. I also moved on to your "Living Your Myth" piece.

      The comment on Friedrich Schelling was especially pertinent to me:

      "..set a new tone by rejecting all attempts to impose on myth a secondary `meaning,' be it euhemeristic or allegorical. Instead he applied to myth the term `tautological,' implying that it must be understood on its own terms as an autonomous configuration of the human spirit, with its own mode of reality and content that cannot be translated into rational terms."

      This chimes very much with the Lewis and Tolkien quotes I posted and will be useful in my essay.

      Weaponized.net is in Guildford? That's just down the road from here. Amazing how you can feel that no one shares your interests...

      I haven't read your material closely. To me your definition of myth may be too broad to be useful. If we recognise the myths we live by, won't that then "kill" them?

      Thanks

      Steve

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, James Curcio <jamescurcio@...> wrote:

      > What I can offer to this question is two sided.
      >
      > One, looking at myth as a personal phenomenon as well as a cultural one:
      >
      > http://www.modernmythology.net/p/what-is-modern-myth.html
      >
      > Second, looking at the predomenant myth of our times, though this is an
      > excerpt from a much longer book that goes more in depth:
      >
      > http://www.scribd.com/doc/55984853/IoM-is-Myth-Dead (feel free to skip the
      > intro though it has a few things that may be useful.) This book was taught
      > in several classes at SUNY Binghamton so it could be a worthwhile reference
      > for you depending on your angle of approach.
      >
      > I hope these are at all helpful to you or others on the list.
      >
      > JC

      > *Independently produced, genre-bending works of modern mythology: *
      > http://www.mythosmedia.net
      > *The Modern Mythology blog:* http://www.modernmythology.net
      >
      > *Past work*: http://www.jamescurcio.com
      > *My LinkedIn*: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamescurcio