23385Re: [mythsoc] Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin!

  • Joseph Furolo
    Oct 18, 2012
      Hi Jason

      I read so much Le Guin when I was much younger - teh early 70's when I became infatuated with Science Fiction in general but her in particular. I remember - in my very early 20's - just reading for hours (neglecting study and chores) as I got swept up in her worlds - especailly "Left Hand of Darkness". I don't have any of the books any more - given away, lost, part of anothe place and time- as happens to all precious things... I still remember the excitment of the idea of 'Lovers in kemmer' and that liberating idea that 'beingness' is the paradigm and 'gender' simply a rippling reflection of our rich inner life. And the 'Ansible' WOW!. That blew my mind (which was not easy to do despite being  in the early 70's)!  I suppose - looking back - it was her 'word creations' that excited me most - new words for timeless ideas. The words -  yes that was it. Maybe that is the thread that led me to Tolkien and my spiritual home...

      Joseph

      On 17 October 2012 20:27, Alana Joli Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

      Hi Jason,

      A reply on the list? A Mythsoc only drawing? How exciting!

      I've enjoyed all of the (limited amount of) Le Guin I've read, and I've been meaning to fill the gaps in my knowledge of her work. The most powerful piece of hers that I've read is the ubiquitous "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas." It's a story that spawned an important paper (personally) in my college career, and it has continued to crop up in SFF conversations about ethics and morality so many times since then, I'm always glad to be very familiar with it.

      In fact, I should go find the anthology I own that includes it and read it again.

      -Alana

      On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Simon & Schuster have worked together to produce a brand new set of all six Earthsea books with beautiful new art and packaging. Thanks to their k
      indness, we have a set to give away to a fan. For the next 24 hours, leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share. We'll take the names of everyone who leaves a comment on this thread by 12:00 PM PST Thursday, October 18, and randomly pick a winner. Good luck!

      See the new set here:

      Best,
      Jason
      Editor, Mythprint