23384Re: Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin!

  • R.J. Anderson
    Oct 18, 2012
      The impact that the original Earthsea trilogy -- particularly A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA and THE TOMBS OF ATUAN -- made on me as a young reader and aspiring author was enormous; nearly on a par with the influence of Lewis and Tolkien. In fact, the other day while reading my latest faery book aloud to my son, I could see exactly which bits of the story had sprung from my childhood reading of ATUAN, even though I wasn't consciously aware of the connection while I was writing it (and I don't think most readers would notice it unless I told them where to look).

      As a child I found it hard to really appreciate THE FARTHEST SHORE: it is such a meditation on aging and death, and I think I'd get more out of it as an adult (note to self: re-read the original trilogy soon). And for the sake of full disclosure I'll admit to violently disliking TEHANU and having no desire to read it ever again, but that didn't keep me from reading and appreciating the fifth book when it came out, and if I'd realized there was a sixth I'd probably have read it a long time before now...

      Thanks for giving us the chance to participate in this giveaway, Jason.
      (R.J. Anderson)

      Forget everything you think you know about faeries...

      KNIFE (2009) | REBEL (2010) | ARROW (2011)
      SWIFT (March 2012)
      by R.J. Anderson

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic