23343Re: [mythsoc] Re: Hobbit trailer

    Sep 20, 2012
      "Westermeyer GS11 Paul W" <paul.westermeyer@...> worte:

      > I was referring to the fact that almost none of the dialogue in the
      > trailer was actually
      > from the Hobbit,

      That was true of the LOTR films as well. Chunks of dialogue actually from
      the book, as opposed to loosely paraphrased, stood out like little nuggets.

      > and parts that were from the Hobbit were shifted and used oddly (Bilbo
      > speaking some
      > of the descriptive text as if it were dialogue, for example).

      Treating the narrator of The Hobbit as Bilbo's voice has a very long
      tradition, a tradition extending back as far as The Lord of the Rings.
      "That house," LOTR says of Rivendell, "was, as Bilbo had long ago reported,"
      and then it quotes (slightly reworded, but only slightly) from the narration
      of The Hobbit.

      > I'm afraid the general trajectory of the films will continue. Fellowship
      > was, Imo, the best of
      > the films and it was the film most true to the source. Each film after
      > that drew further and
      > further from the source material, as Jackson began to feel empowered by
      > the film success
      > to corrupt the source material.

      My opinion is different on several grounds. As a movie by itself, divorced
      from the source material, I liked #2 best; it was the most coherent. I
      cannot think of any grounds on which it makes sense to say that #1 was "most
      true to the source"; it's a little like discussing which malignant dictator
      was the least genocidal. And it's not even true that Jackson felt more
      empowered to corrupt as he went along. Movie #1 was plotted on a trajectory
      to send Arwen to Helm's Deep in #2, but Jackson caved to perceived fan
      pressure (though his substitution was just as corrupting of the source and
      made less sense on its own terms). The original storyboards had Aragorn and
      Sauron fighting in single combat in #3; this was, fortunately, dropped
      before filming. What Jackson felt as he went along was more empowered to
      defend his changes as actual improvements on the book, and not just things
      he had to do for adaptation purposes.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic