23341Re: Hobbit trailer

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    Sep 20, 2012
      > Posted by: "David Bratman" dbratman@... dbratman1
      > Date: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:48 pm ((PDT))
      > The new trailer (well, new to me, anyway) shows Thror's map for about three
      > seconds near the beginning; is that the authentic Tolkien you were
      > referring to?

      I was employing a rhetorical technique, I didn't actually freeze frame or count seconds. I was referring to the fact that almost none of the dialogue in the trailer was actually from the Hobbit, and parts that were from the Hobbit were shifted and used oddly (Bilbo speaking some of the descriptive text as if it were dialogue, for example).

      I'm afraid the general trajectory of the films will continue. Fellowship was, Imo, the best of the films and it was the film most true to the source. Each film after that drew further and further from the source material, as Jackson began to feel empowered by the film success to corrupt the source material. I'm worried these will shift even more in that direction. :(

      Paul Westermeyer

      "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic