23321Re: [mythsoc] A Hobbit Question

  • Jeremy Edmonds
    Sep 12, 2012
      As do I, but the impression I am getting is that audio is Mich's only option.  For someone in that position, the other choices are to call you up and have you read Unfinished Tales to him, or just skip it all together.  :-)

      On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      Text-to-speech! I shudder to think what it would do with Tolkien's Elvish names!

      From: Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:33 PM

      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] A Hobbit Question

      I just checked - Unfinished Tales does not appear to have an official audio book, but the publisher has enabled Amazon's "text to speech" for this book on the Kindle.  That might be sufficient for your needs - note that you do not need to have an actual Kindle, you can download Kindle reader software for PC or Mac from Amazon which supports text-to-speech as well (in fact, the pc software text-to-speech will work on any kindle book, it bypasses publisher restrictions since it is considered an "assistive technology".)

      Hope this helps,
      Jeremy

      On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      Dear Mich
      Not available as audio that I know of; you need to find The book Unfinished
      Tales by JRRT or The Annotated Hobbit, second edition, by Douglas A. Anderson, or HME volume twelve.
      It's not in LotR, having been left out by Tolkien.
      Hope this helps.
      --  John R.