23243Re: [mythsoc] A Lewis professorship question answered

  • John Rateliff
    Aug 31, 2012
      Thanks, Wayne. That confirms that I remember the general outlines accurately, and points me towards where I need to go to get the finer details of the ins and outs and back and forths of the whole affair. Much appreciation.
         --John R.

      On Aug 31, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:
      John,

      Does anyone know where I can find a good account of the various ins and outs of Lewis's election to the post of Professor of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge? I seem to recall the details of this becoming public around the time of the Lewis centennial, but while I remember the general flow of events well enough -- Lewis offered post, turns it down, post offered to another who accepts it, then Lewis decides to accept after all, other person withdraws, happy ending to everyone (except the hapless second choice) -- as well as much of the specific detail (e.g., the part JRRT played in all of this), I want to have a citable source for it, as well as refreshing my memory. Any recommendations much appreciated.

      Christina and I trace this in the Chronology volume of our J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, beginning with the entry for 8-15 May 1954. An expansive account is the article "Lewis and Cambridge" by Brian Barbour in Modern Philology 96, no. 4 (May 1999), pp. 439-84.

      Wayne

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic