23206Re: NPR: Vote for 10 best teen novels

  • davise@cs.nyu.edu
    Aug 1, 2012

      > I just voted.
      >
      > Did I miss THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS?

      No, it wasn't a contestant.

      > My theory, voiced in this Chesterton magazine essay on TREASURE >ISLAND, which got one of my votes, is that all good books should begin >with a map.

      Did any of Chesterton's own books have a map?

      Are there any fiction books with maps earlier than Treasure Island (1883)? (I mean printed as an illustration, not mentioned.) The only one I can think of is in The Hunting of the Snark (1874), and since that's "a perfect and absolute blank", I don't think it counts.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic