23171Re: portrait / itw of Christopher Tolkien - Le monde

  • Romuald I
    Jul 10, 2012
      Merci vient nous le faire savoir (Thanks for letting us know).

      I happened to be in Paris (my first time) attending a conference on Thomas More when I read Vincent Ferre's
      message on my iPhone (in a very crowded MacDonalds on the rue de Rivoli, the main shopping district). I
      immediately rushed out and managed to find a copy of Le Monde Weekend (7th), even though the Sunday edition
      (8th) was already on the newsstands. I've only now had a chance to read the article properly now that I am
      back home in Edmonton. My French is not good enough to translate the article, but my overall impression is
      that although much of it covers familiar ground, it has some  important points to make nonetheless. It records
      Christopher Tolkien's "desespoir intellectuel" at the reception  and commercial exploitation of the Lord of the Rings
      and the Hobbit, especially in the recent films, but the article also goes into some depth about Christopher Tolkien's
      labours to bring the world of the Silmarillion to light. (The map in the Le Monde is actually the second? Silmarillion map).

      I think the interview (which also includes a couple of quotes from our colleague Vincent Ferre and one  from Tom Shippey)
      is well worth publishing in English translation, if Le Monde and the Tolkien Estate agree and don't demand excessive
      permissions Fees -- perhaps in Tolkien Studies or Mythlore. It would probably be good in that case (if it doesn't cost
      extra) to include the original French on facing pages. Perhaps our colleague Professor Ferre (who incidentally has a
      book on Tolkien: Dictionaire -Tolkien coming out in September) could make enquiries with Le Monde to see if this is possible.
      Amicalement
      Romuald Lakowski

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ferre" <ferretolk@...> wrote:

      > Good evening to all,
      >
      > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
      > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html
      >
      > best wishes,
      > Dr. Vincent Ferré
      > Université Paris 13, Département Littérature â€" Mcf Hdr
      > http://univ-paris13.academia.edu/VincentFERRE
      >
      > (à compter du 1er septembre)
      > PR Littératures comparées
      > Université Paris Est (Créteil), Centre “Lettres, Idées, Savoir”
      > ferre@...

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic