23158Re: [mythsoc] Re: portrait / itw of Christopher Tolkien - Le monde

  • GH Chinoy
    Jul 9, 2012
      My French is 7th grade, but Google Translate's much better (albeit not terribly fluent) - enough to get the gist of things. If you open the link in Chrome, it'll autotranslate from French.

      To be honest, reading through the Google translated French is a bit of an adventure, as a lot of the article talks about how Christopher and Baillie had to piece together Tolkien's various notes and manuscripts. I'm not sure how much here is new, other than some of the quotes of Christopher Tolkien and the views portrayed.

      "They gutted the book, making an action movie for 15-25 year olds , [regrets] Christopher. And it seems that The Hobbit will be of the same ilk. "

      On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Westermeyer GS11 Paul W <paul.westermeyer@...> wrote:

      > Good evening to all,

      > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a
      > journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
      > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-
      > de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html
      > best wishes,
      > Dr. Vincent Ferré
      > Université Paris 13, Département Littérature – Mcf Hdr

      It looks like an interesting article, but I do not trust my [very poor] French translation skills to properly read it. Any chance that more skilled French readers might summarize the article, let us know if anything earth-shaking or revelatory is discussed?

      Paul Westermeyer

      “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic