23107Re: Tolkien & the Matter of Britain

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    May 22, 2012
      > Posted by: "John Rateliff" sacnoth@... sacnoth32
      > Date: Mon May 14, 2012 7:35 pm ((PDT))
      > I think this last passage is particularly impressive. Unfortunately,
      > the whole poem's less than a thousand lines (Wayne & Christina's
      > COMPANION & GUIDE gives its total as 954 lines).
      >
      > As for more about the work, in the piece I gave at Kalamazoo the year
      > before last I devoted several paragraphs (about 750 words) to a
      > discussion of what we can tell about the poem from just the available
      > bits. It's obvious, for example, that the 14th century ALLITERATIVE
      > MORTE ARTHURE is among Tolkien's major sources for the poem.

      Thank you for the explanation (and sorry for the belated response!). It sounds like there is a great deal of such miscellanea available still to be published, I really hope it is, I really enjoyed the Sigurd book and would love to see more of his translations and other works published in such editions.

      Returning to the Matter of Britain, I wonder what folk on the list think of Mary Stewart's Merlin series. I've just finished rereading the series, which I've always really, really enjoyed - it reminds me in many ways of Tolkien and seems like the sort of work he might have liked (especially since he expressed admiration for Mary Renault's work).

      Paul Westermeyer
      paul.westermeyer@...

      “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic