23107Re: Tolkien & the Matter of Britain

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    May 22, 2012
      > Posted by: "John Rateliff" sacnoth@... sacnoth32
      > Date: Mon May 14, 2012 7:35 pm ((PDT))
      > I think this last passage is particularly impressive. Unfortunately,
      > the whole poem's less than a thousand lines (Wayne & Christina's
      > COMPANION & GUIDE gives its total as 954 lines).
      > As for more about the work, in the piece I gave at Kalamazoo the year
      > before last I devoted several paragraphs (about 750 words) to a
      > discussion of what we can tell about the poem from just the available
      > bits. It's obvious, for example, that the 14th century ALLITERATIVE
      > MORTE ARTHURE is among Tolkien's major sources for the poem.

      Thank you for the explanation (and sorry for the belated response!). It sounds like there is a great deal of such miscellanea available still to be published, I really hope it is, I really enjoyed the Sigurd book and would love to see more of his translations and other works published in such editions.

      Returning to the Matter of Britain, I wonder what folk on the list think of Mary Stewart's Merlin series. I've just finished rereading the series, which I've always really, really enjoyed - it reminds me in many ways of Tolkien and seems like the sort of work he might have liked (especially since he expressed admiration for Mary Renault's work).

      Paul Westermeyer

      “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic