      So you did.  And I suggested the Chronology.  Feel free to disagree.  You are aware of course that it's a 2-volume work and suggesting one volume isn't the same as the other.
      --
      Larry Swain

      On Sat, May 5, 2012, at 07:30 PM, Doug Kane wrote:

      Pssst, Larry, I already suggested the LotR section of the Reader's Guide portion of the Companion and Guide.

      Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 7:25 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] A book on how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings

      How about Wayne and Christina's Companion and Guide?  While not specifically on Tolkien's writing style or history of creation of LoTR, the Chronology in my view gives one all that needs be known.

      Larry Swain

      On Sat, May 5, 2012, at 07:10 PM, John Rateliff wrote:

      On May 5, 2012, at 6:20 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:
      . . .  I could, of course, simply tell him to read the entire twelve-volumes of The History of Middle-earth, but he'd just be annoyed by that.  Is there a single book that gives the history of how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings?  I'm not sure to what extent this could be separated from the history of how he wrote The Silmarillion and The Hobbit.
      I don't know of any one book that does this.
         If there is one,  I look forward to finding out about it.
             If there isn't, perhaps somebody shd write one.

      --JDR (who can point you towards that sort of thing re. THE HOBBIT but not LotR).