23073Re: [mythsoc] A book on how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings

    May 5, 2012
      Thanks, Doug.  Incidentally, I just bought your book Arda Reconstructed.
      Wendell Wagner
      In a message dated 5/5/2012 9:56:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dougkane@... writes:

      Honestly, I think the best answer it too suggest that they read the three and half volumes of HoMe dedicated to the history of The Lord of the Rings.  You could also suggest Wayne and Christina's LotR Reader's Companion, but I don't think that would help much.  Probably the LotR section of their Reader's Guide would be more helpful.  Other than that, I can think off hand of any specific book dedicated to how LotR was written.
      Now if they wanted to know how The Silmarillion was created, I would know just what to suggest.
      Doug Kane

      Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 6:20 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] A book on how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings

      I'd like to reply to the first post in this thread on a message board:
      It's someone who has a theory about how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings.  It's clear that he hasn't actually read any scholarship on the subject.  I could, of course, simply tell him to read the entire twelve-volumes of The History of Middle-earth, but he'd just be annoyed by that.  Is there a single book that gives the history of how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings?  I'm not sure to what extent this could be separated from the history of how he wrote The Silmarillion and The Hobbit.  Please, no false modesty.  If one of you wrote such a book about this subject, let me know.  I'd like to be able to explain to the guy how it would be useful to read the scholarship on the subject rather than just guessing on his own.
      Wendell Wagner

      No virus found in this message.