23071A book on how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings

    May 5, 2012
      I'd like to reply to the first post in this thread on a message board:

      It's someone who has a theory about how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings.  It's clear that he hasn't actually read any scholarship on the subject.  I could, of course, simply tell him to read the entire twelve-volumes of The History of Middle-earth, but he'd just be annoyed by that.  Is there a single book that gives the history of how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings?  I'm not sure to what extent this could be separated from the history of how he wrote The Silmarillion and The Hobbit.  Please, no false modesty.  If one of you wrote such a book about this subject, let me know.  I'd like to be able to explain to the guy how it would be useful to read the scholarship on the subject rather than just guessing on his own.