      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Zachary Bos
      Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:27 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

      Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
      Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
      Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
      exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
      Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
      documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
      (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
      contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
      dog-eared damn near every page. As at
      http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

      All best,

      Zachary