23036Re: [mythsoc] Joshi on C. S. Lewis

    Mar 27, 2012
      I read Joshi's _God's Defenders_ along with David Berlinski's _The Devil's
      Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions._ Somehow I'd gotten the
      impression that Berlinski cut through some of the scientific problems in the
      current religion/atheism debate, but he doesn't. Berlinski is a philosopher,
      not a scientist; he knows nothing about science, and like everybody on both
      sides of this debate, is aggressively and belligerently ignorant about what
      he doesn't know. He starts out by punching straw men and ends up espousing
      incomprehensible nonsense.

      Joshi is actually more learned than most of the professional atheists out
      there, though like most of them he has an unexplained desire to run around
      kicking what he sees as people's crutches out from under them. His
      explanation for religious belief? "People are stupid." Accordingly he has,
      it seemed to me, some trouble pinning Lewis, who wasn't stupid, to the mat,
      and his knowledge of Lewis's total oeuvre is not as secure as he thinks; but
      it's great fun watching him demolish twaddle from the likes of T.S. Eliot
      and William F. Buckley, smart enough guys on their own grounds whose only
      mistakes were thinking they knew something about religion and then
      publishing it. I don't recall, at this distance in time, specifically what
      he says about Chesterton.

      _The Four Loves_ certainly isn't literary criticism. I'd classify it as a
      moral study, akin to the apologetics though not specifically religiously
      disputational as the earlier apologetics is. _Reflections on the Psalms_,
      though more explicitly religious than _The Four Loves_, classifies similarly
      otherwise.