23001Worthy vs. Fun

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Mar 19, 2012
      Since I thought this might have the potential to spiral off topic, I thought I'd start a new thread rather than leap into the other fantasy writing thread.

      I've noticed in myself as a reader that I can acknowledge some books, such as Holdstock's recommended titles from the other thread, as very good books without, myself, enjoying them very much. I think I've only read one of his, actually, and I thought it was very good -- a worthy title -- but also that I didn't like it very much.

      I've been wondering the same thing about the Hunger Games books, which I've still not read -- they sound to me as though they are clearly good, meaning worthy, books. But the don't sound to me like they're very much fun, and I suspect that, based on what I've heard from others, while I may find them compelling, interesting, and thought-provoking, I won't like them very much.

      I do enjoy books very much that I think are well-crafted, well-written, and thoughtful (hitting many of my qualifications for worthy) while also being enjoyable (to my taste), including humor, and featuring likable characters who I care about over the course of their story (hitting many of my qualifications for fun). If a book can accomplish all of that, I'm always incredibly impressed -- usually a title will err toward one side or the other.

      Do others notice this trend in themselves as readers? Or do other folks' taste in worthy titles mesh with the things they like?

      -Alana

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
      Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets