231998 Fantasy Books

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Dec 6, 1998
      The Mythopoeic Society presents four awards each year, for fantasy
      literature (children's and adult) and scholarship (Inklings and general).
      Anyone in the Society can nominate books and/or serve on the committees
      that select the winners; check the info on our web site for details:

      http://www.mythsoc.org/awards.html

      Now's the time that "us regulars" start snooping around for
      nomination-worthy books, so I thought this might be a good list topic. What
      did you read this year (published in 1998) that you thought was outstanding
      fantasy?

      I'll start with Patricia A. McKillip's new book, _Song for the Basilisk_,
      which is one of the best novels I've read recently. If you read and like
      McKillip, this book fits nicely into her usual elegant style and succinct
      story plotting. But although a short book (a compliment!! I mean compared
      with these endless bookend series...), it has the breadth of her earlier
      classics like _The Forgotten Beasts of Eld_ and the Riddle-master trilogy,
      in that the world is a bit wider than the author usually creates and the
      events somewhat broader. I think it's the best book McKillip has written in
      many years.

      OK, guys, how about you? Plug your favorites!

      Ellie

      *
      Eleanor M. Farrell
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: emfarrell@...

      Editor, Mythprint (Mythopoeic Society newsletter)
      *
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic