22997Re: [mythsoc] Modern Fantasy Genre - All seems lost?

    Mar 19, 2012
      I managed to force myself to read the first 117 pages of A Game of Thrones (since we were reading it in January for our local Mythopoeic group), and I didn't find it to be particularly good at all, let alone not very close to Tolkien.  And this is the most popular of the big fantasy series that have come out over the past ten or so years.  Are there any of the big fantasy series that people can recommend as being really first-rate?

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 3/19/2012 5:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, john@... writes:
      Game of Thrones finally made it to DVD in the UK last week, so I got my first peek of it (yes I know, I should have read the books, but so many books, so little time...). And to me, it felt about as far from Tolkien as it is possible to get. Where Tolkien focuses on the epic, and the mythic struggle between good and evil personified in characters, Game of Thrones seemed to have transplanted early medieval history into a fantasy environment, with no one either good or ungood, and no cause worth fighting for. Very realistic, no doubt, but worlds away - literally - from Tolkien, where, even in his most grim tales (such as Turin), there is a deep-rooted sense of morality and honour. I like both, but don't see many similarities, Sean Bean aside.

      Personally, I find more similarities between, say, War and Peace, or other epic 'real world' novels, and Lord of the Rings, than Lord of the Rings and the newer 'gritty' fantasy novels. I wonder if people see a fantasy secondary reality portrayed and think 'must be Tolkienesque' without looking deeper?
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic